Monday, August 4, 2014

So we are starting a modified version of the GAPs diet today. http://www.gapsdiet.com/  It's a lot of preparation but it's a breeze compared to the ketogenic diet.  Yesterday I made bone broth and cut up a ton of veggies and meat to freeze.  I say modified because I am not following it 100 %. Many Dravet parents I have talked to have told me that their kids are sensitive to histamine in foods.  Many of the GAPs foods that you are supposed to eat frequently are high in histamine, so I am taking precautions and watching to see what effect it has on Paloma.  The idea behind the diet is to heal the gut and this will in turn have an effect on symptoms, including seizures.   I believe in the diet, and it's ideally how I wish we all could eat.  You do the diet in stages and progress slowly.  In the beginning she is eating bone broth, boiled meats and veggies all organic, homemade yogurt and ghee. I am adding a tiny amount of sauerkraut for the probiotics.  It's very healing and easy for the gut. Honestly, I don't know if the diet will help but I'm hopeful that it will make a difference.  Will it heal her completly? I don't know, there are reported cases of Dravet patients no longer having seizures and as of now there is no reason for me to not believe that she could be one of those people.  I am thankful that we were diagnosed so early which gives us a chance to try out alternatives to all the meds.  

If you would, if you are the praying type, say a prayer for us that this diet will help.  Also, on a side note our paperwork requesting that we be moved is sitting on someones desk waiting to be approved.  We are hoping to hear something soon.  Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment