Garden update*

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A month or so ago after we cleaned out the garden area we decided to lay some manure down and till it in.  This turned out to be a big mistake.  Gardening is so much about making mistakes.  After tilling the soil it turned rock hard and I could barely get a shovel in or pull a weed out.  After reading up on the soil subject I came across the documentary "Back to Eden."  The guy in the movie is a little kookie but his garden speaks for itself. He doesn't till, fertilize or water and he has a very little pest problem.  However, it took him years to get to that point using compost and wood chips.  I'm going to give it a go this year.  I'm afraid our garden won't be very productive it's first year but that's ok.  Its still fun.  




 My garden helper

Our neighbors apple tree that hangs over our fence

 Wise words from Georgia.  Things take time.  Having a successful garden takes years and years of nurturing and improving the soil.  Patience pays off.

1 comment:

  1. That's a wonderful quote from Georgia -- and I once watched a video online of a woman in upstate New York -- an old woman -- who had the most amazing garden that she literally did nothing to. No weeding, no watering, no fertilizing, etc. I wish I could find the link.

    ReplyDelete